English language academic support programmes
Academic writing tutorial service
The University Language Centre offers international students a one-to-one tutorial service to support them in their written academic work. This service is available during term-time throughout the academic session and is free of charge to students.
How does the academic writing tutorial service operate?
- Submit a sample piece of your writing by email (see below). This can be a recent piece of coursework or any other piece of your academic work in any stage of its preparation. It must be no more than 1,500 words in length but if it is, please indicate clearly which portion you wish to have considered.
- Please bear in mind that we require at least one week’s notice of each tutorial appointment so allow yourself plenty of time if you are working to a submission deadline.
- You will receive an email offering you a choice of appointment times. At this point, you will be asked for information about your academic career. Your choice of appointment time will not be confirmed until we have received this information.
- When an appointment time is agreed, you will receive confirmation by email.
- If you find that you have to cancel your appointment, please let us know immediately so that the appointment slot can be allocated to another student. Any failure to attend an appointment without informing us may result in your being denied a tutorial opportunity in the future.
Please note that this is not a proof-reading or correction service and that the University Language Centre does not provide such a service.
Where will I have my tutorial?
You have the option of being seen in Sackville Street Building or Samuel Alexander Building, whichever is most convenient for you. You will be told where your tutor will meet you when your appointment is confirmed.
How do I book an appointment?
Submit your writing sample with your student ID number to Rachel Sinnott by email (Rachel.firstname.lastname@example.org). PLEASE QUOTE YOUR STUDENT ID NUMBER IN ALL CORRESPONDENCE. Ring 0161 275 3426 if you need further information.
If you are looking for online help with your academic writing, go to http://www.phrasebank.manchester.ac.uk. The Academic Phrasebank exists to help academic writers like you so please feel free to make use of it in your work.