ENQUIRE: Issue 8 – Call For Papers
ENQUIRE is a peer reviewed online journal for the social sciences which provides an encouraging and exciting space for academic research both from the UK and abroad. ENQUIRE aims to fill a gap in the postgraduate research community by providing a critical yet supportive outlet for publications from postgraduate students, post-doctoral researchers, and other early career academics.
Papers are invited for the 8th issue of ENQUIRE. This issue will include a general section of theoretical, empirical and methodological papers, exemplifying the diversity and quality of early career research in the social sciences. We welcome papers from across the social sciences, including but not limited to:
* Sociology and Social Policy
* Social Work
* Political science/international relations
* Science and technology studies
* Cultural studies
* Media/Communication studies
* Mental Health and Wellbeing
This issue will include a special section based on the 7th Enquire conference theme on 4D Research: Early experiences of Designing, Debating, Doing and Disseminating Social Research. Whilst the PhD process is often referred to as a ‘journey’, we tend to hear more about the destination rather than the pit-stops and bumps that occur along the way. As postgraduate researchers ourselves, we recognise that the PhD process is complex, non-linear and rife with ambiguity. Nonetheless it is a privileged opportunity that allows individuals to devote three years to the detailed exploration of a subject they are passionate about.
With this in mind, we are seeking papers which explore individuals’ candid stories of the various ups and downs of the PhD process, across social science disciplines. Therefore, we are eager to hear about individuals’ experiences throughout their PhD; from initial ideas at the masters level right through to the dissemination of published work. The aim is to facilitate mutual discussion and debate which enables people to learn from the experiences of others.
We are therefore inviting researchers to submit papers that share honest accounts of aspects of the research process which include, but are not limited to, reflexive considerations of:
* Designing: Literature review; research questions; methodological design and it’s limitations; planning for practicalities
* Doing: Access; consent; data generation/collection; administration; emotional well-being
* Debating: reflexivity; ethics; validating and justifying your work
* Disseminating: social media; public speaking to diverse audiences; impact; publishing; how to deal with misinterpretation of your findings
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: 26th June 2015