The Fulbright Awards Programme offers a wide range of exchange opportunities to UK citizens (regardless of where they reside) in the following main categories:
- Postgraduate Student Awards to pursue a postgraduate degree or attend a US university as a *’special student researcher’ in any subject, or
- Scholar and Professional Awards for academics and professionals to lecture, study and/or conduct research in the US.
*Please note that the ‘special student researcher’ option should be used for applicants who will pursue research projects at a degree granting accredited education institution while currently enrolled in an UK/European Master’s / Doctorate programme. Applicants will be required to engage in an independent full time research project under the supervision of a research advisor at their U.S. host institution.
Applying (Applications open on 1st August 2015)
The Fulbright online application system is called Embark and is used by all Fulbright Commissions worldwide. Each Commission sets its own policies and procedures and country-specific instructions for using the online application system.
UK Fulbright Application Instructions
Before beginning an application on Embark, read and follow the UK Fulbright Application Instructions. It is critical that you follow the instructions in this document in order to submit an accurate and complete application for the UK Commission.
** You must apply for a place at US Universities separately from your Fulbright application. Those who do not secure a place at a US university will not be able to take up their awards.
Online Fulbright Application Form
In order to make an application to the UK Fulbright Commission you need to register with the Embark online application site. You will be able to log in and out of your account and will not be required to complete the application in one sitting.
It is imperative that you follow the UK country-specific instructions as you complete the Embark online application; failure to do so will mean that your application may not be considered.
You must complete the Embark online application form in order to apply for a Fulbright Award. In the application you must provide:
- biographical information about yourself, your academic and extracurricular accomplishments and project plans.
- details of one or more US institutions with which you will be affiliated and include a letter of invitation (sought independently) from the perspective host(s)
- a personal statement and project statement,
- details of three referees who must each submit a letter of recommendation to the online system on your behalf.
In this Award category, approximately 20 grants are offered to UK academics and professionals to undertake lecturing, research or a combination of the two for a period of three to twelve months. Candidates choose and make arrangements with US host institutions directly and independently.
Please click on the following link for further information on both categories http://www.fulbright.org.uk/fulbright-awards